Hello there! I’m Sarah Stearns, the founder, editor, and heart behind the SarahMaker website. Beyond the titles, I’m a creative enthusiast, an advocate for handcrafted magic, and a firm believer in the power of self-expression through art. I’ve been knitting since 2009 and crocheting since 2019, and each day, my love for these crafts continues to grow. (At this point, my office looks like a mini yarn store – send organization tips!)
My creative journey started with a humble crochet lesson from my grandma. Since then, I’ve harnessed my love for creating things and channeled it into sharing knowledge and inspiration with others, thereby growing a community that now brings together millions of fellow craft lovers each month.
My personal mantra? Making things is the closest we get to real-life magic. It’s my mission to make this magic accessible and enjoyable for everyone, from beginners trying their hand at a new skill, to experienced makers looking for fresh ideas. So, if you’ve always admired handmade crafts but felt too overwhelmed to try, rest assured – you’re in the right place!
Here’s what some happy crafters say about my work:
“I just want to say that I love your emails, your explanations, and your videos. They are so immensely helpful! It seems like you have the answer to all my questions.”
“FINALLY. I’ve been trying to learn this for weeks…Today, I found yours and discovered why I wasn’t getting it — NO ONE ELSE has explained the very first steps…I finally have a nice little project going. Thank you so much!!”
Curious to know more?
- When I’m not elbow-deep in yarn, you can find me lost in a good book or playing with clay at my pottery wheel. I’ve got a very loud 40-year-old pottery wheel in the basement, and it’s my favorite non-yarn hobby.
- I’m an alumnus of Vanderbilt University, where I first caught the bug for blogging and designing websites. Since publishing my first tutorial in 2009, it’s been It’s coding and crafting all the way!
- My first project was a slightly wonky red scarf I made for my husband. It’s full of dropped stitches and uneven tension, but I still love it because it’s a heartfelt reminder of where I started and how far I’ve come.
Established in 2019, sarahmaker.com is your go-to resource for crochet and knitting inspiration. Our mission is to make creativity accessible, enjoyable, and empowering for everyone. With free patterns, step-by-step instructions, high-quality images, and detailed videos, we aim to turn your “I wish I could” into “Look what I made!”
We believe in providing the best and clearest instructions, helping beginners crochet or knit successfully on their first try. We keep our resources updated with the latest techniques and patterns, ensuring you always have the most relevant information at your fingertips.
We offer a vast array of resources, from free patterns to detailed videos and step-by-step instructions, making the process of learning new skills enjoyable and empowering. Beyond our free resources, we also offer paid PDF versions of patterns, interactive workshops, and soon, our own line of yarn, kits, and supplies.
Our community of makers is vibrant and diverse, and we welcome anyone with a desire to create. Over the years, we have helped countless readers achieve their creative dreams. We warmly welcome anyone eager to learn and create, irrespective of their age or skill level.
We’ve been honored with numerous awards and recognitions, and have been featured in prominent publications including The New York Times, Scientific American, Good Housekeeping, Vox, Apartment Therapy, and Lifehacker, among others.
SarahMaker.com is a secure website, committed to providing you with a safe browsing experience. Our contact information is readily available should you have any questions or require any assistance.
Let me show you around!
In this magical corner of the internet, we believe in creating, inspiring, and sharing the joy of handmade crafts. Whether you’re a first-time visitor or a long-time follower, we’re thrilled to have you here. Let’s create something beautiful together!
If you’re a crochet beginner who wants to learn the basic stitches, then you should check out these tutorials.
- A Complete “How to Crochet” Guide for Beginners
- 6 Basic Crochet Stitches for Beginners
- 20 Unique Crochet Stitches for Your Next Project
If you’re a crocheter who’s searching for your next pattern, I think you’ll like these:
If you’re a knitting beginner who wants to get started, I think you’ll like these articles:
- How to Knit: Complete Guide for Beginners
- How to Knit the Knit Stitch (k) for Beginners
- How to Knit the Purl Stitch (p) for Beginners
If you’re a knitter looking for their next project, check out these patterns:
If you’re new to Cricut and need help navigating all the mats, materials, and tools, you’re gonna need these posts:
- How to Set Up Your New Cricut
- How to Cut Vinyl with Cricut
- How to Clean a Cricut Mat and Make it Sticky Again
If you’re a Cricut beginner who’s stumped by Design Space, check out these tutorials: